NSF has announced the release of the revised Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 22-1). The new PAPPG will be effective for proposals submitted or due on or after October 4, 2021.
Significant changes are below:
- A new section covering requests for reasonable and accessibility accommodations regarding the proposal process or requests for accessibility accommodations to access NSF’s electronic systems, websites and other digital content;
- A table entitled, NSF Pre-award and Post-award Disclosures Relating to the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support. This table identifies where Pre- and Post-Award Current and Pending Support disclosure information must be provided. Proposers and awardees may begin using this table immediately;
- Increasing the page limit for the Biographical Sketch from two to three pages;
- Updates to the Current and Pending Support section of NSF proposals to require that information on objectives and overlap with other projects is provided to help NSF and reviewers assess overlap/duplication;
- Adding planning proposals and Career-Life Balance supplemental funding requests as new proposal types;
- Updates to travel proposals will require that AORs certify that prior to the proposer’s participation in the meeting for which NSF travel support is being requested, the proposer will assure that the meeting organizer has a written policy or code-of-conduct addressing harassment.
It is recommended that you begin reviewing the summary of changes provided in the Introduction section of the PAPPG.
NSF will conduct a future webinar on these changes. Please visit the NSF policy outreach website to sign up for notifications about this, and other events.
Though this version of the PAPPG (NSF 22-1) becomes effective on October 4, 2021, in the interim, please be advised that the guidelines contained in the current PAPPG (NSF 20-1) continue to apply.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Assistant Director, Sponsored Programs Pre-Award