Signature of a business official IS required for the following:
1. PHS 416-5, Individual Fellowship Activation Notice: This form is used to activate new fellowship appointments.
2. PHS 416-7, Termination Notice: This form is used to terminate either fellowship or training grant appointments.
Signature of a business official IS NOT required for the following:
1. PHS 2271, Statement of Appointment: This form is used to activate new training grant appointments.
2. PHS 6031, Payback Agreement: This form is used to certify that the Fellow or Trainee understands their repayment obligation in the event that the appointment is not completed.
3. PHS 6031-1, Annual Payback Activities Certification: This form is used to annually re-certify the Fellow/Trainees payback obligation once their appointment has ended.
Please note that while institutional endorsement is not required for these documents, the instructions for the PHS 2271 state that a copy should be provided to the business official. Also, since the Payback Agreement (PHS 6031) is required at the time activation forms are submitted, it would be prudent to either route one with the concurrence memo for a fellowship activation (PHS 416-5) or provide a copy with the training appointment activation (PHS 2271) for URA records.
These documents can normally be submitted to NIH via e-mail. If you are an xTrain user, they can be routed using eRA Commons.
Information submitted for institutional endorsement should be provided using a URA Concurrence Request.